Cooper tagged me with the Your Blog is Fabulous Award/Meme, even though I don’t look a bit like the picture shown thereon. I never, ever wear a yellow dress. OK, maybe I do look a bit like the dog.
First I am bound by the terms of this meme to list five addictions. Is one of the qualifications for this award that you’re a psycho sicko? I mean, five addictions? Isn’t that a little over the top? Let me see…
- Coffee. Cooper already used that one, but it is my one true addiction. I have quit coffee at least twice in my life, only to take it up again with the vengeance of a long physical deprivation. I try to keep it under four cups a day now, but at one time I drank more than 20. My mother got me started when I was only three, although that was watery Maxwell House overloaded with milk and sugar. These days my wife brews it strong, and I take it with only a little whole whipping cream. We used to go for Seattle’s Best or Tully’s, but the recession has coaxed us into Costco’s Kirkland brand — which isn’t half bad. It’s certainly better than its price suggests.
- Walking. If I don’t get my daily walk outdoors, I’m not right all day. It’s not only the physical exercise that gets my brain going, it’s also having some quiet time to myself that isn’t dedicated to any particular topic. That’s when I have my best insights — or at least, the ones that seem best to me.
- Reading. I especially enjoy the classics, and I’m currently working my way through Shakespeare’s complete works. Cooper mentioned War and Peace — that was probably my all-time favorite novel. I like to read each morning while eating breakfast, which leads me to:
- Eggs. My wife tires of eggs quickly, but I could eat them for every meal. Sunny-side up, over easy, scrambled, omelet, or something completely crazy — as long as it has eggs in it, it’s good. Especially if it is loaded with hot peppers. Habañeros are my favorite, but jalapeños will do. Even red chiles are better than nothing.
- Writing. Especially blogging. If I only had more time…
This is kind of a strange award for a guy to pass on. But I’ll single out Teeni. Not only is she an entertaining writer, she has also created a whole little social network over at the Vaguetarian Tea Room. And from what I see, she’s still getting better.